Saturday, October 21, 2006

Marie Antoinette

Is anyone planning to see this movie? I don't know that I'll go to the movies to see it but I'd like to see it when it comes out on HBO. I was really skeptical when I heard Kirsten Dunst was set to play the role and Sofia Coppola was directing. However, I don't think Coppola is striving for historical accuracy but rather making a film about the legend of the doomed French Queen. I don't mind historical inaccuracy as long as the author/filmmaker is not trying to push it off as history. That was a problem I had with "The Patriot." Rather than saying it was a costume drama, the filmmakers presented it as history. And it wasn't accurate. I actually liked the film, although I found myself rooting for the Redcoats. I think Jason Isaacs had a lot to do with it. I'm the same way with books I suppose, although with books, an author has time to present the facts correctly. Maybe because I am a writer I am a tougher critic. We seem to be tougher judges on our own, I think that is pretty much true with any profession. Have you ever been out to dinner with a waitress?

Anyway, what do you think? Is this movie going to do a disservice to French history or will it be considered on its entertainment merits? I can't wait to see the costumes.

2 comments:

Tess said...

I'm hoping it will be seen as entertainment only, as it's certainly not very good with the history. I doubt I'll even have a chance to see it in the theatre here, so will have to wait for the DVD. Probably just as well. Like you I'm eager to see the costumes and, even more, the shots at Versailles and in Paris!

Gina said...

I can hardly wait to watch Marie Antoinette on dvd.(me & hubby only go to the movies when it's something that SHOULD be seen on the big screen like Spiderman,Superman,etc.). I have read the review by a respected movie critic & he's impressed with how Coppola handled it & Kristen's portrayal of the ill-fated queen. I have read 'Abundance, A Novel of Marie Antoinette' by Sena Jeter Naslund & found it to be a very good read.